Panicked shoppers were sent fleeing after a guard fired shots when he was approached by a man with a knife at a busy Los Angeles-area mall. Police in Santa Monica say the knife-wielding man was arrested a short time after the gunfire erupted Friday morning at the popular Third Street Promenade. Santa Monica resident Siamak Kordestani says he and others ducked into a store after three shots rang out. He says people ran in all directions away from the scene. The man being led away looked middle-aged, appeared to have a neck tattoo and was wearing glasses, according to an image tweeted by an NBCLA reporter as he was taken away by officers. CBS Los Angeles reported that the man approached a Brinks security truck while holding a knife, and one of the guards inside the vehicle fired three times at him near 3rd Street and Arizona Avenue at about 11.15 am. In a Tweet on Friday afternoon, Santa Police Department said: ‘Today at approx 11:15 am near the area of 3rd and Arizona, a male suspect approached an armored truck wielding a knife.
Authorities also found the knife and the cash, Cobarrubias said.
The security officer shot at the suspect 3 times. Unknown if the suspect was struck. The suspect fled the scene. From early on police claimed that the incident was not an ‘active shooter’ situation. Just blocks from the famous Santa Monica Pier, the promenade is a pedestrian plaza and a popular outdoor destination for tourists and locals. The man was not struck by the gunfire and ran from the area with a bag of money, Santa Monica police Lt. Candice Cobarrubias told the Los Angeles Times. He was taken into custody in a parking facility in the 1300 block of 3rd Street about an hour later. Authorities also found the knife and the cash, Cobarrubias said. We want everyone to know the promenade is safe,’ she added. It is understood that multiple streets in the area remained closed after noon while authorities investigated the incident. Businesses in the mall briefly locked down.
Cori McCoy, an employee at the Body Shop, told the Los Angeles Times that she heard three gunshots coming from outside and immediately saw people running. We saw a few people outside run into nearby stores. An employee locked the Body Shop’s doors, but within five minutes they reopened. Dawn Thornton, who is a general manager at a fried chicken and waffles restaurant Bruxie said she told her employees to stay inside when she heard the gunfire. We had guests in the restaurant, so I had the staff do what they do but not go into the far end of the patio,’ she said. Another man named Dan Wentzel was with his colleagues from the American Jewish Committee in Santa Monica when he heard the gunshots ring out. He said he saw scores of people run from the promenade as he stood at Santa Monica Boulevard. He told the Los Angeles Times: ‘People were running for their lives. The incident comes as members of the public remains on high alert following two mass shootings in El Paso, Texas and Dayton, Ohio, earlier this month.
Crusius has been charged with capital murder and is being held without bond.
Patrick Crusius, 21, emerged with his hands up from a vehicle that was stopped at an intersection shortly after attack in El Paso on August 3 and told officers, ‘I’m the shooter,’ Detective Adrian Garcia said in an arrest warrant affidavit. Twenty-two people were killed and about two dozen were injured after he opened fire in a Walmart. Most of the dead had Hispanic last names and eight were Mexican nationals. Authorities believe that shortly before the attack, Crusius posted a racist screed online that railed against an influx of Hispanics into the U.S. Authorities say Crusius drove more than 10 hours from his hometown near Dallas to carry out the shooting in the largely Latino border city of El Paso. Crusius has been charged with capital murder and is being held without bond. Federal prosecutors have said they are also considering hate-crime charges. The attack came hours before another mass shooting in Dayton, Ohio, in which nine people were killed. The dual shootings, which killed 31 people in all and wounded dozens more, reignited calls for Congress to take immediate action to reduce gun violence. Another incident which caused mass hysteria occurred on August 8when a backfiring motorcycle sent tourists and New Yorkers running for their lives after mistaking the sound for gunfire. Police said 22 people were hurt – and four were taken to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. Sorry, this content is not available in your region.
Who’s Your Dan Patrick Facebook Customer?
The Chargers don’t need much retooling beyond the offensive line to return to contention after falling to 5-11 in 2019. Philip Rivers is a pending free agent, and his turnover-plagued season arguably is what held the Chargers back as they continued to be on brand in playing close games. The offense would be loaded with weapons even if Melvin Gordon isn’t re-signed, and the defense is championship-caliber with a healthy Derwin James. There are no Patriots ties to draw Brady to the Chargers, but the challenge of raising a dormant AFC power in a division where Brady can compete with Patrick Mahomes would be fun and rather realistic should it be evident a return to New England fades. The Colts tapped into the Patriots’ offensive system when they traded for former Brady backup Jacoby Brissett. There’s a lot to like about Frank Reich’s team after its injury-riddled season. The Colts have a solid defense that needs only a few upgrades, and they would commit whatever resources needed with plenty of cap space to make the offense skill support pleasing for Brady. The Raiders saw the best and worst of Derek Carr in the same season.